Human Resources Generalist
to Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Human Resources
Department: Finance and Administration Shared Services
Classification: Administrative Program Spec
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $18.92 - $28.59 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes November 29, 2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to your online application, please include:
1. A current resume
2. The names and contact information for three professional references
We are interested in finding the best candidate for the position. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t think you meet every one of our preferred qualifications - use your application to let us know what is meaningful to you about the role and what transferable skills or other qualities you would bring.
In order to be considered for the position, all applications must be submitted here, https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/532955/human-resources-generalist
The Finance and Administration Shared Services Department (FASS) is located within the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Finance and Administration employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential support to the Universities many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping campus safe. FASS provides department level administrative services to groups across the University in three areas: Business Operations, Human Resources and Information Technology.
The mission of the Finance and Administration Shared Service team is to provide professional and timely service, offering our expertise in a wide variety of functions. FASS is committed to providing superior customer service and creating partnerships with clients to ensure their needs are fulfilled to the highest standard.
The FASS unit provides administrative services for 20+ departments across several portfolios including:
• Campus Planning and Facilities Management
• Safety and Risk Services
• Campus Services
• University Human Resources
• Information Services
• Purchasing and Contracting Services
• The Office of General Counsel
• The Office of the President
The units supported by FASS constitute multiple large business enterprises consisting of more than 900 employees and a total operating budget in excess of $80 million.
The mission of the Shared Services Human Resources group is to provide centralized service, offering our expertise in a wide variety of functions including: acting as liaison to Central HR, staff and student recruitments, employee relations, workforce planning, training, and payroll administration. We are committed to provide superior customer service and create partnerships with our customers to ensure their needs are fulfilled to the highest standard.
We are hiring a Human Resources Generalist to join the FASS HR team. Whether you’re a skilled admin looking to expand into HR or an HR professional looking for a new opportunity, we hope you’ll consider applying!
In this position, you will provide important HR support to FASS and its customers in all areas of HR including performance management, training, personnel and pay actions, and student employment. You will also help manage projects and process development and improvement.
You will assist in managing the daily functions of FASS HR to ensure processes are handled efficiently and effectively, responding to a wide variety of HR inquiries and issues. Working collaboratively across our team, you will research, evaluate, recommend and implement HR solutions. HR best practices, polices, and HR laws are constantly changing, and in this role you’ll help adopt and promote these important and necessary changes.
As the Human Resources Generalist, you will help shape the experience of employees throughout the employee life cycle. You will coach and train supervisors on best practices for performance management, including how to best support employee growth and development. You will also coordinate training opportunities across our supported units – identifying needs and establishing or promoting training opportunities.
You will support units seeking to create or change position descriptions. This includes analyzing and evaluating positions for alignment with the University’s compensation practices, collective bargaining agreements, regulatory requirements, and internal and external comparators to support pay equity. You will work directly with supervisors and leadership to provide strategic consultation and excellent customer service to help them meet their goals, while guiding them to solutions that align with UO policies and practices.
As a key member of the FASS HR team, you will contribute to the overall goals of the unit, promoting and implementing process improvement, managing projects, and documenting procedures. You will coordinate efforts to audit and track HR data in support of university HR and Payroll requirements.
This is a new position that will join an established and supportive team of HR professionals that value collaboration, growth, and development. You'll manage at least one student employee and cross train with other FASS-HR team members.
This unit may provide essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
Two years of experience as an administrative specialist or executive support specialist which included administrative support for a project, program, or operation. Administrative support includes those duties beyond clerical/secretarial such as: interpretation of laws, rules, and regulations; administrative data collection and analysis; and evaluation of projects, processes, and operations;
an equivalent combination of training and experience.
One year of postsecondary education may be substituted for up to one year of the experience.
• Familiarity with classification and compensation functions, such as position description review/analysis and FLSA analysis.
• Ability to build and maintain relationships and work effectively with colleagues, faculty, staff, and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Problem solving and customer service skills.
• Commitment to the highest standards of work product, confidentiality and integrity.
• Ability to create, learn and follow processes, demonstrated good judgement on when and how to deviate from processes and/or identify and escalate issues.
• Experience working in matters related to appropriate classification and compensation.
• Experience with applying collective bargaining agreements to recruitment and compensation matters.
• Experience using HRIS or a Talent Management System.
• Experience using productivity software such as Microsoft Office.
• Current PHR or SHRM-CP certification.
• Work experience in higher education.
Why you should work here:
• We provide excellent benefits including health, dental, retirement plans, and generous paid time off.
• UO offers a tuition discount for eligible employees or family members in participating programs at UO or other Oregon public universities.
• While this position is based in Eugene, a hybrid schedule may be possible.
• HR positions such as this provide the opportunity to hone existing administrative strengths and build new ones in a large, complex organization, leading to opportunities for growth within or outside of the human resources and administration fields.
FLSA Exempt: No