Computer Science Instructional Assistant - North Seattle College
North Seattle College is looking to hire an Instruction and Classroom Support Technician 3 to support students within the Application Development and Computer Science Bachelor’s Degree programs.
Salary Range for this position is $12,518.10 to $16,424.10 annually.
Initial review of application materials will begin on November 27, 2023.
Under the supervision of the Director of Technology Bachelor Degree Programs, the Instruction and Classroom Support Technician 3 will be responsible for supporting students within the Application Development BAS (AD BAS) and Computer Science CS (CS BS) classroom through embedded tutoring and supporting lead faculty in course development, content, and running of classroom workshops. This position will work closely with both AD BAS and CS BS faculty on quarterly course planning and student needs. The Instruction and Classroom Support Technician 3 will be responsible for providing one-on-one and group tutoring in multiple modalities; this includes in-person/on campus and online tutoring.
This position is part-time, working 10 hours per week year-round with the opportunity to work more hours during fall, winter, and spring quarters.
This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement with representation by WFSE and is subject to union shop provisions.
We are a district of three distinct colleges—North Seattle College, Seattle Central College, and South Seattle College—and five specialty training centers. Which makes us the largest and most diverse community college district in the state of Washington, we are leaders in change and innovation.
Seattle Colleges is committed to recruiting dedicated faculty and employees who together create a welcoming academic climate that reflects the diverse backgrounds of our community, including ethnicity, national origin, religion, race, gender, gender identity, age, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, disability, political status, and sexual orientation.
As a Seattle Colleges employee, you will gain access to a great benefits package including:
- Competitive Pay Rates
- Promotional Opportunities
- Great Medical, Dental, and Retirement plans
- Paid Sick and Vacation Leave
- Transportation benefits
- Tuition Waivers
- PEBB Wellness Plan
- Washington State Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)
Seattle Colleges staff and faculty also enjoy professional development opportunities and enrichment experiences in areas of their choice, including committee, workgroup, and affinity group opportunities.
- Attached current Resume
- Attached cover letter addressing how your background intersects with the job
Required application materials must be completed and submitted online
Notice to Applicants:
Please note that Seattle Colleges has moved to holding interviews virtually using video conference options such as Zoom or Teams. As such, if you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to hold your interview virtually.
What you will be working on:
- One to one tutoring: Meet with individual students to assist them with coursework and assignments, mentor them on academic study and college success skills, direct them to relevant campus resources, and promote their self-efficacy as learners.
- Identify and address students’ individual learning needs, assist them in developing effective study strategies and organizational skills.
- Lead group tutoring and specialized classroom workshops
- Collaborate/communicate with faculty and administration to enhance the overall academic support services provided.
- Collaborate with faculty in assisting development of material to help educate and help students succeed.
- Provide support to faculty in assessment.
- Foster a supportive and inclusive learning environment that encourages student engagement and participation.
Perform other duties as required.
What you bring as a candidate: (Any Equivalent Combination of Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education and Experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Extensive experience with the Java programming language
- Knowledgeable with computer science theory, such as, logic and discrete math
- Understands basic networking concepts
- Experience with databases, web development, cloud computing and software development
- Understanding of React and modern web frameworks, including AWS
- Experience using SQL and NoSQL databases
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interact with others in positive, constructive, effective manner
- Consistent access to a functional computer and reliable internet access
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology tools like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and other applications or platforms
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
Physical Demands and Disability Accommodation
Persons with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodation in all aspects of employment with Seattle Colleges. This includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, application, interviewing, hiring, training, termination, conditions of employment, and any other employer-supported activities. Applicants requesting accommodation should contact Human Resources.
Seattle Colleges follows the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and provides the following information as a guideline for applicants:
- Ability to operate office equipment, receive and interpret data, and prepare various materials
- Ability to exchange information with supervisor, lead, co-workers, and students
- Ability to provide 1:1 support, present to small groups, and work at a computer exercising repetitive hand motion
- Work is performed primarily in office settings with frequent interruptions and encounters noises typical of these settings
Notice of Non-Discrimination Statement
Seattle Colleges is committed to the concept and practice of equal opportunity for all its students, employees, and applicants in education, employment, services and contracts, and does not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity, color, age, national origin, religion, creed, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, status as an honorably discharged veteran or disabled veteran or military status, political affiliation or belief, citizenship/status as a lawfully admitted immigrant authorized to work in the United States, or presence of any physical, sensory, or mental disability. In addition, reasonable accommodation will be made for known physical or mental limitations for all otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. Further, the Seattle Colleges is committed to ensure that all employees and students work and learn in an environment that fosters mutual respect and professionalism, free from all forms of “bullying” behaviors, including “cyberbullying.”
Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the Director of Legal Compliance.
Background Check Statement
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position. In addition to the background check, candidates will complete Sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form WA HB 2327 as required.